Section 1. Eligibility.
The OMNE membership shall consist of those persons who meet the following requirements:
- Full Members. Full members of the organization are RNs who are accountable for operational and/or management outcomes in the areas of Nursing Practice, Education and Research. Included are RNs who wish to further develop leadership skills through education and mentorship from RNs currently in positions of leadership. Applications for membership will be reviewed by the Chair of the Membership Committee.
- Honorary Members. Honorary members are individuals who were in good standing as members at the time of retirement. Honorary members shall have the same rights as full members.
- Full and Honorary members shall have the right to hold any elected position; vote on any organizational issue; elect a slate of candidates for service on the Board of Directors; and shall have the right to elect officers of the organization, except for any officers appointed by the Board of Directors as set forth in these By laws. Full and Honorary members shall have the right to vote on amendments to the OMNE By laws and Regulations as such amendments may be proposed by the Board of Directors or by the Full and Honorary members and on any increase in the dues proposed by the Board of Directors.
- Organizational Liaison Members. OMNE membership may be extended to representatives from healthcare related entities (one from each) to serve as liaisons to OMNE for the purpose of promoting communication regarding healthcare issues or policy. Liaison members shall attend OMNE business meetings and shall give a report as a standing agenda item. They may attend OMNE educational meetings and participate on committees. They will not be considered Full Members, not be permitted to vote in the meetings or committees of, hold office in, or vote for Directors or Officers of OMNE except as otherwise set forth in these By laws.
- Candidates for Liaison membership may or may not be RNs and may seek consideration for membership through a letter of application to the OMNE Executive Committee.
- Members serving on Boards representing OMNE
Toward its mission, OMNE supports its members in serving on other professional healthcare boards and committees to support an environment that encourages networking, unity and collaborative partnerships among all healthcare professionals across Maine.
Requests and appointments for these roles must go through the President and be approved by a majority vote of the Executive Committee. OMNE members representing the professional organization are expected to carry out their duties in a professional and ethical manner. When serving on advisory boards or other such committees, members represent the views of OMNE.
To serve on a board, the appointee must be an active member in good standing with OMNE and be up to date with annual dues requirements.
An OMNE member who is selected and agrees to participate on a board or like body will be expected to perform in the following manner:
- Maintain loyalty to OMNE membership.
- Represent the mission of OMNE as well as that of the respective organization when involved with decisions for the selected board or like committee.
- Speak positively about OMNE and be the voice for OMNE’s views and perspectives.
- Foster positive professional relationships when serving as OMNE’s representative.
- Represent OMNE’s good reputation and leave a positive impression.
- Serve as communication vehicle to address issues and concerns of mutual interest.
- Report of board or committee activity to OMNE members at regularly scheduled meetings. If the appointee is unable to attend, provide the report to the OMNE President in writing prior to the next business meeting.
- Provide communications with OMNE on such matters including but not limited to, organizational, legislative policy formation, and strategy.
OMNE’s Executive Committee will review appointments every two years for reappointment or replacement. If for any reason the appointee in not able to fulfill the responsibilities as they are defined, another member will be nominated by the Executive Committee of OMNE.
Section 2. Eligibility and Status Change.
Members who, because of change in position or unemployment, or who do not continue to meet the criteria for membership may extend membership eligibility in their current category.
Section 3. Term.
Membership shall be for one year or any portion thereof ending December 31st.
Section 4. Members' Responsibilities.
- Active participation at meetings. Our strength is in our collective wisdom.
- Active participation on at least one committee.